TAXES! TAXES! TAXES!
LEGAL NOTICE TO SHERMAN TAXPAYERS
Notice is hereby given to the taxpayers of the Town of Sherman, CT that I have received the Tax Warrant to start collections as of July 1, 2019 for the Fiscal Year July 1, 2019-June 30, 2020. The mill rate for the Town of Sherman has been set at 19.81. Taxes for Motor Vehicles along with the first installment of Real Estate and Personal Property on the
Grand List of October 1, 2018 becomes due and payable July 1, 2019. If the first installment is not paid on or before August 1, 2019 interest will be charged at a rate of 1.5% per month from the original due date of July 1, 2019, with a minimum interest charge of $2.00. Any tax under $100, and all Motor Vehicle Taxes are due and payable in-full July 1, 2019, last day to pay without penalty is August 1, 2019.
Payments must be postmarked by the United States Postal Service (not Pitney Bowes, Fed Ex or UPS) on or before August 1, 2019 to be considered timely. Any payment received after August 1, 2019 lacking a postmark, or having a postmark after August 1, 2019 will be considered delinquent.
Municipal taxes are the responsibility of the taxpayer.
§12-130 - Failure to send or receive a tax bill does not relieve the taxpayer from his/her liability for the payment of taxes or delinquent charges.
Tax Collector’s Office, P.O. Box 39, Sherman, CT 06784. If a receipt is needed, mail in your entire bill to be receipted with your payment along with a self-addressed stamped envelope. Again, payment must be postmarked on or before August 1, 2019 to be considered timely.
Hours are Tuesday thru Friday 9a-12p & 1p-4p. Only the payment counter will be open on Saturday’s in July of 2019 from 9a-12p. Any questions about assessment values or adjustments need to be directed to the Tax Assessor’s office Tuesday – Friday.
Please note that Mallory Town Hall is closed for the Independence Day Holiday. You can view the Town Calendar for other closures at the Town’s website.
Payments may be made with a credit/debit card or by transferring funds online at the Town’s website www.townofshermanct.org. Fees apply. Credit/Debit cards are not accepted in the office or over the phone. This is the only legal form of online payment per state statute. Your personal online banking system is not covered by the state statutes. Please be aware that your payment from your personal bank account is sent to an automated clearing house and may take several days to be received. It is sent bulk mail and does not receive a USPS postmark. If received after August 1, 2019 is will be considered delinquent. Also, most banks service agreements forbid payment of taxes through their online bill pay.
The Tax Collector’s Office will close at noon on Friday, June 28, 2019 to close out fiscal year 2018-2019.
Sherman Tax Collector
Resolution Opposing Tolls in Connecticut
- Whereas the Governor and many members of the State Legislature have signaled support for the placement of tolls on Connecticut’s major roadways including Interstate 84;
- Whereas many of the residents of Sherman use these roadways each day for work, family obligations and pleasure and spend a significant amount of time on these roads;
- Whereas the implementation of tolls will result in a significant increase in the amount of traffic on Sherman’s roadways, particularly State Roads 37, 39, and 55 as drivers attempt to avoid the cost burden from tolls on I-84;
- Whereas the increased volume of traffic from trucks, automobiles, and other vehicles through our Town would negatively impact the safety of our residents including children at the Sherman School, reduce residential property values all along Routes 37, 39 and 55, and increase the Town’s costs for services and infrastructure repairs;
- Whereas the residents of Connecticut already pay more in taxes and fees than most residents in other states around the country;
- Now, therefore, be it resolved that the Board of Selectmen in the Town of Sherman is opposed to the imposition of tolls and urges the Governor and its elected representatives in the State Legislature to oppose any measure that would impose tolls.
Draft of Sherman Lake Noise Ordinance
Please CLICK HERE to view/download the DRAFT proposal for a new Noise Ordinance for the Town of Sherman.