Planning and Zoning Commission
Planning and Zoning Zoning Regulations and Subdivision Regulations
Zoning and Subdivision Regulations - rev 8/1/2017
Planning and Zoning Plan of Conservation and Development
Sherman Plan of Conservation and Development - Final Version
The Planning and Zoning Commission guides the future growth and development of the Town in accordance with the Plan of Conservation and Development, which is designed to promote the most beneficial and convenient relationship among the residential, commercial and public areas within the Town, considering the appropriateness of the various uses in each area, and the suitability of each area for such uses, as indicated by existing conditions and trends in development.
The Commission considers and acts upon zoning and subdivision applications.
Contact Information and Office Hours
Zoning Office Phone: (860) 355-3127 Enforcement Officer: (860) 355-1821 Fax: (860) 350-5041
Enforcement Officer: Tuesday – Friday 9:00am – Noon & 1:00pm – 4:00 pm Clerk: Tuesday – Friday, 9:00am - 12:00pm & 1:00pm - 4:00pm
Or call for an appointment
Mailing Address: Planning and Zoning Mallory Town Hall 9 Rt 39 North P.O. Box 39 Sherman, Connecticut 06784
Zoning Office Staff
Ronald Cooper, Enforcement Officer Christine Branson, Administrative Assistant
Planning and Zoning Commission
Jeannene Burruano, Chairman Neil Volkmar, Vice-Chariman Mary Lee, Secretary Ted Hollander, Jr., Commissioner Ryan Peburn, Commissioner Paul Voorhees, Commissioner Jill Finch, Commissioner Willy Knaak, Alternate Ann Mouio, Alternate Jerrold Siegel, Alternate
Commission Regular Meeting Dates
The Planning and Zoning Commission meets the first Thursday of each month unless otherwise specified. Meetings start at 7:00 p.m. at Mallory Town Hall in the Conference Room.
The meeting schedule for 2017 is as follows:
- January 5, 2017
- February 2, 2017
- March 2, 2017
- April 6, 2017
- May 4, 2017
- June 1, 2017
- July 6, 2017
- August 3, 2017
- September 7, 2017
- October 5, 2017
- November 2, 2017
- December 7, 2017
It also provides applicants and the public with guidance and assistance in the following: Procedures to be followed regarding Planning and Zoning regulations and if required guidance to apply to other departments, commissions etc. for permits such as Health/Building Department, Inland Wetlands and Watercourses Commission, Conservation Commission, Board of Selectmen etc.
P&Z provides assistance in presenting applications before the Commission, and receives pubic complaints and inquiries on zoning-related issues.
Planning and Zoning Commission – Fees
Effective January 29, 2010
- Certificate of Zoning Compliance - $170.00*
- Lot Line Change:
- Not A New Lot - $170.00*
- Create A New Lot - $220.00*
- Zoning Permit:
- One Structure – New House $245.00*
- One Structure – Not a New House,150 sq. ft or greater - $170.00*
- One Structure – Not a New House, Less Than 150 sq. ft. -$40.00*
- Additional structure on same application (garage, shed, pool, etc.) - $50.00
- Extend time of approved permit -$125.00*
- Special Permit:
- Public Hearing Required-$270.00*
- Public Hearing Not Required-$170.00*
- Amend Existing Special Permit - $100.00*
- Change of Occupancy - $20.00
- 2 – 4 Lots $270.00* per lot
- 5 – 9 Lots $270.00* per lot for the first 4 lots, $220.00 per lot for lots 5 – 9
- 10 lots or more - $270.00* per lot for the first 4 lots, $220.00* per lot for lots 5 – 9, and $170.00* for lots 10 and above.
- Amendment to the Zoning and/or Subdivision Regulations - $200.00
- Earth Materials Operations Application - $80.00*
- Golf Course Facilities - $350.00*
- Golf Course Residential Community - $400.00*
- Telecommunications - $630.00
- Late Fee, for permits applied for after start of work - $650.00
- Fee to reinstate permits after Stop Work Order - $600.00*
- Copies - $.50 per page
- Copies of CDs - $10.00 each
The Planning and Zoning Commission permits landowners, voters and non-profit, tax-exempt organizations to register to receive notices when the P&Z begins the process to adopt or change any zoning regulations, subdivision regulations or the plan of conservation and development.
CLICK HERE to go to an on-line form which will allow you to register to be on Sherman's distribution list.