The mission of the Sherman Conservation Commission is to protect the natural environment of Sherman and all of its resources. The commission's statutory obligation is to make environmental impact reports on proposed subdivisions, which will be submitted to the Sherman Planning and Zoning Commission.
- Working with the Sherman Inland Wetlands and Watercourses Commission to protect local surface and subsurface water resources.
- Educating ourselves as Commissioners about conservation principles and best practices, thereby enabling the Commission to be a reliable source of accurate and up to date information for applicants and residents.
- Working with the Planning and Zoning Commission to strengthen the Sherman zoning code to preserve and protect open space, prime farmland, ridgelines, scenic vistas/sites and historical areas.
- Educating the general public about environmental threats to native species and their associated habitats; the challenge posed by invasive species; the importance of preserving our agricultural heritage and viable local farming, and the health of the overall environment.
- Periodically reviewing and updating the town's Natural Resource Inventory and compiling an inventory of town open space resources and creating a plan for their management.
Mallory Town Hall
9 Rt 39 North
P.O. Box 39
Sherman, Connecticut 06784
Conservation Commission Members
William McCann, Commission Chairperson
Mike LaVia, Commissioner
Colette Shulman, Commissioner
Rolf Martin, Commissioner
Michele MacKinnon, Commissioner
Christine Aruza, Clerk
* There three are vacancies on this Commission
*Interested applicants should contact The First Selectman, Don Lowe
The Conservation Commission holds their meetings on the second Wednesday of each month at 7:00 PM at Mallory Town Hall. The dates for 2022 are as follows:
January 12, 2022
February 9, 2022
March 9, 2022
April 13, 2022
May 11, 2022
June 9, 2022
July 13, 2022
August 10, 2022
September 14, 2022
October 12, 2022
November 9, 2022December 14, 2022
2018 Natural Resources Inventory
The Conservation Commission has recently completed the Sherman Natural Resources Inventory Report and Recommendations . Below is a link to the report and printed copies are available in the Planning & Zoning Office for $10.00.
2018 Natural Resource Inventory Report and Recommendations
Land Use Commissions Information Sheet
Land Use Information
Resolution of the Town of Sherman Conservation Commission