List of Posted Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Where can I get a recycling sticker?

Recycling Stickers are available in the Selectman's Office Tuesday - Friday 9:00-12:00. There is a $10 fee per vehicle, which helps to defray the Town's cost for the use of the Recycling Center. You will be asked to provide the license plate number for each vehicle requiring a sticker as well as your name, address, and telephone number.

The New Milford Recycling Center is located on Young’s Field Road in New Milford. The Center accepts glass, plastic, and metals containers, which can be intermingled, as well as newspapers, cardboard, business paper, and other items. Larger items can be disposed of for a fee. A list of accepted items is available in the Selectmen’s Office. Questions can be directed to New Milford Public Works at 355-6040.

The Recycling Center is open Tuesday through Friday, 7:15 am – 3:15 pm (closed for lunch from 11:30 - 12:00); Saturday, 8:30 am – 3:00 pm.

For comprehensive information about recycling in Connecticut, visit Housatonic Resource Recovery Authority.

CLICK HERE to view an informational flyer on about New Milford Recycling.

CLICK HERE to view an informational flyer on Single Stream Recycling.

Return to the top

When are my taxes due?

Taxes are assessed on the Grand List beginning in October 1st of each year, and are billed the following July 1st and January 1st.

Return to the top

How do I get a tax refund for a car I no longer own?

Please go to Departments/Assessor for instructions on how to let us know that you no longer own your car.

Return to the top

Is there any form of tax relief from elderly or disabled residents?

Contact the Assessor at 860-355-0376 for criteria and procedure.

Return to the top

Do veterans get an exemption on property taxes?

A small exemption on the assessed value of real property (or, if no real property is owned, on the assessed value of a motor vehicle) is provided for veterans. The original discharge papers (Form DD214) must be filed with the Town Clerk by October 1st to be eligible for the exemption, which will be applied to the Grand List for the subsequent year. Once the initial application is approved, it continues to be valid. Sherman veterans who meet certain income requirements are eligible for additional veterans exemptions. For further information, contact the Assessor's Office at 860-355-0376.

Return to the top

Where can I get a beach pass?

Beach passes for Sherman residents are available in the Park & Recreation Office, located in the Sherman School. A guest pass will be issued at the same time. You will be asked to provide a license plate number.

Beach passes are issued just prior to Memorial Day weekend and throughout the summer until Labor Day, when the Town Beach closes.

Return to the top

Where do I get a fishing license?

Fishing licenses are issued by the Town Clerk.

Return to the top

Where do I get a hunting license?

Hunting licenses are issued by the Town Clerk.

Return to the top

Who should I call about dead animals in the road?

To report deer or other large animals that have been killed on the state highway system (Routes 37, 39, and 55), call D.O.T. at 860-354-4253. If the animal is killed on a Town road, call the Public Works Department at 860-350-5514. If the animal is killed on private property, it is the responsibility of the property owner to remove the deer. This applies to animals killed on private roads.

Return to the top

Should dead birds and bats be reported to anyone?

During the summer months, when West Nile virus is a threat, report dead birds to the Health Department at 860-355-0166, which will determine whether action is necessary. The Health Department is not performing routine testing of dead wild birds for avian influenza at this time.

Return to the top

Who should I call about stray or injured dogs?

Contact Animal Control at 860-354-2138.

Return to the top

Who do I call about dead trees?

The Town is responsible for removing trees on Town property that present a hazard to pedestrians or motor traffic. Call the Selectmen’s Office to report such trees. Your call will be referred to the Tree Warden, who will inspect and evaluate the tree. Trees involving electrical wires are the responsibility of C.L.& P. The D.O.T. is responsible for trees on State property. The Selectmen’s Office will refer the call to the appropriate office.

Return to the top

Where do I get a dog license?

Dog licenses can be obtained from the Town Clerk.

Return to the top

How do I apply for a passport?

Passport applications are available from and are processed by the Post Office. The number is 860-354-6191.

Return to the top

Where can I get a marriage license?

Can be obtained from the Town Clerk of the town in which either the bride or groom is a resident or where the marriage will be held. There is no waiting period and no blood tests are required. The Town Clerk maintains a list of Justices of the Peace, who are authorized to perform marriages.

Return to the top

Do I need a permit to burn brush on my property?

Yes. You must apply to the Fire Marshal 860-350-4063 for an open burning permit. Once a permit is issued, you must call the Fire Marshal's office on the day you intend to burn to be certain that there is no restriction on open burning on that day.

Return to the top

Do I need a permit to put in a driveway?

Yes. Application forms are available from the Planning & Zoning Office. You will be asked to submit a site plan with your application. The work must be approved by the Land Use Enforcement Officer, Ron Cooper, who can be reached at 860-355-1821. A bond may be required for driveways that require an asphalt apron.

Return to the top

Do I need a firearms permit?

Absolutely! Connecticut has a two-tier permit system. You must first obtain a Temporary State Permit from the Resident State Trooper (860-354-3715) before you may apply for a State Permit to Carry Pistols and Revolvers. State law requires your to submit to fingerprinting and a criminal history check. The cost for a Temporary State Permit is $35.00 to the local issuing authority plus $24.00 for the FBI to process your fingerprints. The Temporary State Permit is valid for 60 days from the date of issuance and may not be used to purchase firearms. Once you have received your Temporary State Permit, you may apply to the Department of Public Safety for your State Permit. The cost of the State Permit is an additional $35.00. It is valid for a period of five years. You must have your photograph taken upon application and renewals.

Return to the top

How to I arrange a permit to have my septic system pumped?

You must contract with an independent contractor to arrange a pump-out and disposal of the pumped materials. The Town no longer requires a permit for septic pumping.

Installation of septic systems and repair of existing systems is overseen by the Health Department, which requires a permit for these activities.

Return to the top

Are bazaar permits required?

Yes. The permit application can be obtained at the Selectmen’s Office.

Return to the top

Are raffles regulated?

Yes. Applications for a raffle permit can be obtained at the Selectmen’s Office. In most cases, the Town can issue permits for local raffles. Some raffles require state approval.

Return to the top

Where is the police department?

Sherman participates in the Resident State Trooper program. At least one Trooper is on duty 24 hours/day. However, events in surrounding towns may require the Trooper to leave Sherman temporarily to respond. Call 911 in an emergency. Otherwise, the Trooper can be reached at 860-354-3715.

Return to the top

When does the Town pick up garbage?

There is no municipal garbage pickup. Residents must contract with a private hauler for this service. For a list of licensed haulers visit Housatonic Resource Recovery Authority.

Household garbage can be disposed of at the New Milford Recycling Center for a fee, if you have a recycling sticker. Stickers can be obtained from the Selectmen's Office during Town Hall hours and from the Town Clerk on Saturday mornings. The fee is $10.00.

Return to the top

When are municipal elections held?

Most municipal officials are elected for a two-year term. Certain positions on elected boards and commissions carry a longer term. Elections are held in November of odd-numbered years. Vacancies to elected positions are generally filled by appointment effective until the next scheduled election.

Return to the top

I'm registered to vote in another town or state and don't want to change. Can I vote in Sherman?

You must be registered to vote in Sherman in order to vote in municipal elections for Town officials. As a property owner, you may vote at Town Meetings and on referendums that involve budgets, special appropriations, bond issues, and spending authorizations.

Return to the top

Where can I register to vote?

Application forms to register to vote are available from the Registrars of Voters, the Town Clerk, Department of Motor Vehicles, the Library, and the Post Office, but must be returned to the Registrar of Voters office in the town in which you are registering to vote. You may download forms from the Internet at

The Registrars are generally available on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Call the Registrar at 860-350-4694 for hours the office is open.

Return to the top

Where can I get an absentee ballot?

Can be obtained from the Town Clerk, approximately 30 days before a regular election.

Return to the top

Does Sherman have a Probate Court?

Sherman is served by the Housatonic Probate Court, which has an office at New Milford Town Hall, 10 Main Street, New Milford, CT 06776. The Court can be reached at (860) 355-6029.

Return to the top

When is the Town's Annual Report available?

The Town’s annual report is presented to residents at the Annual Town Meeting, held in October. The report contains the complete audit of the prior year’s budgets as well as a summary of department activities during the past year. Copies of the Annual Report are available in the Selectmen’s Office and can be located at Quick Links/Finance and Budget.

Return to the top

When is the budget presented to the Town?

Town budgets are presented in two components: one supporting municipal activities and the other funding education. Budget preparation begins in January, and the Board of Selectmen, acting as the Board of Finance, reviews budget requests in March. A public hearings on the proposed budget is held in April. The Board of Selectmen acts as the Board of Finance in finalizing the budgets that are presented to voters in May.

Registered voters and property owners are eligible to vote on the budgets, which are considered separately. Once budgets are finalized, they are mailed to all residents. They will also be posted on-line. Copies of the budget also are available in the Selectmen’s Office.

Sherman’s fiscal year is July 1 to June 30.

Return to the top

Where can I get information about the Freedom of Information Act?

All meetings of Town boards and commissions are open to the public, with the exception of those held in executive session for reasons permitted by law. Warnings of all meetings are posted on the general bulletin board in Town Hall. Most meetings are recorded, with copies available for a fee. Requests for copies of minutes or documents under the Freedom of Information Act should be directed to the Administrative Assistant in the involved department. General questions about the Freedom of Information Act can be directed to Ruth Byrnes at 860-355-1139. Please note that agendas of most meetings and minutes of most meetings are posted on the Town's website.

Return to the top

How can I express interest in serving the Town?

Members on several boards and commissions are appointed by either the First Selectman or the Board of Selectman. Additionally, opportunities exist to serve on various area community groups that serve Sherman. These appointments are made in November or December of each year to fill existing vacancies. Persons interested in serving on an appointed board or commission or as a Sherman representative to an area group should contact the Selectmen’s Office.

Return to the top

How can I contact our state representatives?

Richard Smith is Sherman's State Representative for the 108th District..
Office: Legislative Office Building Room 4200, 300 Capitol Ave., Hartford, CT 06106
Phone: (860) 240-8700

Michael McLachlan is Sherman's State Senator for the 24th District.
Office: Legislative Office Building #2203, Hartford, CT 06106
Phone: (860) 240-0068

Return to the top

How can I contact our federal representatives?

Elizabeth Esty is Sherman's representative to the U.S. House of Representatives.
Office: 509 Cannon House Office Building, Washington, D.C. 20515 Phone: (202) 225-4476

Richard Blumenthal is one of Connecticut's two U.S. Senators.
724 Hart Senate Office Building, Washington, DC 20510 Phone: (202) 224-2823

Christophy Murphy is one of Connecticut's two U.S. Senators.
Ofrfice: 303 Hart Senate Building, Washington, DC 20510 Phone: (202) 224-4041

Return to the top

How can I find out about social services available in Connecticut?

INFOLINE provides information on thousands of services available to help people in Connecticut. Just dial 2-1-1. You may also consult the Town's Director of Social Services, Beth Trott, at 860-354-2414.

Return to the top

What number should I give my alarm company to call in case of smoke or fire?

Sherman's emergency dispatch service is Litchfield County Dispatch. The phone number is 1-860-567-3877.

Return to the top

Is there any where I can take yard waste such as grass clippings, brush, and the like?

New Milford Farms at 60 Boardman Road in New Milford is accepting yard and wood waste at their recycling facility. They are open Monday through Friday, 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM and Saturdays, 8:00 AM - 12:00 Noon. Fees for disposal are based on size of load being disposed, roughly $10.00 for a pick-up truck filled with yard waste. Yard waste is no longer accepted at the Town Garage.

Return to the top

Who do I contact about a burial plot?

There are two active cemeteries in Sherman. The North Cemetery is located on Church Road adjacent to the Congregational Church. The contact is Jill Finch at 860 355 8707. The Coburn Cemetery is located on Leach Hollow Road across from Mauweehoo Hill. The contact is Dick McGoldrick at 860-355-1720.

Return to the top

What is a HEARTSafe Community?

Sherman was awarded this designation by the Connecticut Department of Public Health in recognition of community-wide efforts to improve survival from sudden cardiac arrest. These efforts include community-wide training programs in cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) offered by the Sherman Volunteer Fire Department, the placement of automatic external defibrillators in public locations, as well as equipping emergency responders with these devices.

Return to the top

© 2013 - Multimedia Productions Division, The Candlewood Group and Town of Sherman, CT